Benefits of Green Cities
- Efficient Land Use
Green Cities promote effective land use by encouraging land use mix and higher densities to ensure compact development. These planning concepts are gaining prime importance offering multiple benefits as mentioned below:
- Higher density and compact development
- Promote transit oriented development
- Preservation and Restoration of Water Bodies & Eco-sensitive zones
- Offer a variety of housing typologies
- Reduces distances between home and workplaces
- Pedestrian and bicycle-friendly environments
- Enhanced community bonding in neighbourhoods
- Efficient Mobility
Green City increases opportunities for bicycling, pedestrian friendly network, reduction in the number of automobile trips, promoting public transportation and use of vehicles with alternative fuels. In a nutshell, efficient transportation planning enable cities to accommodate all modes of travel, including walking, bicycling and public transportation which are vital parts of reducing the carbon footprint in cities.
- Efficient City Infrastructure
Efficient use of infrastructure limits the usage of natural resources by incorporating best practices such as:
- Water Efficiency: Green City would result in potable water savings to the tune of 30-40% by adopting practices such as rain water harvesting, treatment & reuse of waste water, storm water management, etc.
- Energy Efficiency: Power generation using various renewable energy technologies and Green concepts can significantly reduce the power supply demand of the city leading to energy savings to the tune of 20-30%.
- Solid Waste Management: Waste management in Green Cities takes into account planning and implementation of efficient systems for collection, transportation, treatment, recycling and reuse or disposal of municipal solid waste. Green Cities aim to achieve zero waste discharge to landfill sites.
- Enhanced Quality Of Life
Reduced commuting time, accessible recreational spaces, increase in green cover, continuous environmental monitoring shall enhance the quality of life thereby making the city healthier and liveable.
Scope of IGBC Green Cities Rating System
Projects shall meet the following criteria to qualify for IGBC Green Cities Rating:
Any upcoming large scale Development (Greenfield Development or Brownfield Development or Combination) with a minimum area of 250 Ha and minimum gross population density** of 125 persons per hectare (pph).*
The city shall generate employment opportunities (direct and indirect employment) for at least 20% of the total population
The city shall have following social infrastructure facilities* :
- Education facilities
- Healthcare facilities
- Socio Cultural facilities
- Recreational facilities
- Sports Facilities
*Source: MoUD's 'Urban and Regional Development Plans Formulation and Implementation (URDPFI) Guidelines', Volume 1, January 2015
- Gross Population Density is defined as persons per unit area (in hectares) for developed area (Refer Annexure I for definition) only.
- In case, a large scale Development (Greenfield Development or Brownfield Development or Combination) is not able to achieve a minimum gross population density of 125 persons per hectare, the project shall provide employment opportunities for at least 30% of its residents.
Fee Structure (effective from 1 January 2017)
||Registration Fee (Rs)
||Less than 1,000 Hectares of Land Use Area
||1,000 to 10,000 Hectares of Land Use Area
||Greater than 10,000 Hectares of Land Use Area
* Fee is exclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST)
* Registration and Certification fee are non-refundable
* Membership discounts can be availed only if the Project Owner or Developer is a member of IGBC
* Payment can be done through Online options - Debit Card, Credit Card and Net Banking.
For more details, please contact:
Ritabrata Sen (Mr)
Email Id: email@example.com
Phone number : +91(40) 4418 5231
Mobile Number : +91 96520 59360
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Number : +91 97178 99588
Associate Counsellor, IGBC
Architect & Infrastructure Planner
Email Id: email@example.com
Phone number : +91(40) 4418 5114