IGBC NET ZERO ENERGY BUILDINGS
The building sector in India is growing at a rapid pace and contributing significantly for the increase in energy demand. The increase in energy demand leads to increase in Green House Gas (GHG) emissions and hence global warming. Green buildings have demonstrated that about 25 to 30% reduction in energy consumption with respect to the National baselines, can be achieved by implementing energy efficient practices and technologies.
The advancements in the renewable energy technologies, policy interventions by the Government and the wider adoption of renewable energy sources have made the cost of renewable energy generation very competitive. In fact, buildings can become self-sufficient by generating their own energy requirements economically, through the use of onsite/ offsite renewable energy sources.
Against this background, the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) has launched 'IGBC Net Zero Energy Buildings Rating System' in 2018. This rating system is a tool which enables the designer to apply energy efficiency concepts and adopt appropriate renewable sources by design to achieve Net Zero Energy Status. In case of an existing building, the tool enables implementation of energy efficient measures to reduce energy consumption and meet the rest of the energy requirements through renewable energy sources.
Net Zero Energy concepts and techniques encourage to use of Renewable Energy sources to meet the energy requirements of the building. It would result in
- Improvement in energy efficiency and hence reduction in annual energy consumption to the tune of about 25-30% with respect to the National baseline.
- Overall reduction in energy cost of at least about 30%.
- Reliable source of power supply if combined with energy storage devices.
The rating system evaluates buildings on a performance-based approach. The rating system is evolved to be comprehensive and at the same time user-friendly. The programme is fundamentally designed to reduce the energy needs of a building and national priorities.
IGBC Net Zero Energy Building rating system addresses energy efficiency and Renewable Energy through the following sections
- Energy performance
o Simulation approach
o Prescriptive approach
o Energy efficient building envelope
o Air conditioning
- Renewable Energy
- Thermal comfort, Indoor temperature and RH
The mandatory requirements and credits earned at the preliminary review are only considered as expected. These mandatory requirements and credits are not awarded until the final documents are submitted, along with additional documents showing implementation of design features.
IGBC Net Zero Energy Buildings Rating System is designed for both new and existing buildings/ projects, both for air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned spaces.
Net Zero Energy Building (NZEB) Rating is applicable to Commercial, Industrial as well as Residential building projects those are able to off-set 100% annual grid energy use by renewable energy sources (either on-site and or off-site). These buildings include but not limited to offices, banks, IT parks, shopping malls, hotels, hospitals, airports, convention centers, educational institutions (schools, colleges, university Campus), Factory Building/ projects, Warehouses, Railway Stations, etc.
The threshold criteria for certification levels are as under :
|Net Zero Energy
|Net Zero Energy Platinum
||80 and above
IGBC will recognise Net Zero Energy Buildings that achieve one of the rating levels with a formal letter of certification and a mountable plaque. Net Zero Energy certification can be awarded either at Design Stage or during Operation. A building which achieves Net Zero Energy Certification at Design State must showcase Net Zero Energy Performance after one year of building operation.
|Membership category and Certification Fee
5,000 sq m or below(INR)
5,001 sq m to 50,000 sq m (INR)
50,001 sq m & above (INR)
|IGBC Founding Member
||180,000 + INR 4 / sq m over & above 5,000 sq m
|IGBC Annual Member
||190,000 + INR 4.25 / sq m over & above 5,000 sq m
||200,000 + INR 4.50 / sq m over & above 5,000 sq m
* Fee is exclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST)
* Parking areas need not be considered as part of the built-up area
* Registration and Certification fees are non-refundable
* Membership discounts can be availed only if the Project Owner or Developer is a member of IGBC
Combined Certification Fee applicable for clients adopting multiple IGBC Net Zero (NZ) Ratings for the same project.
In such cases, the certification fee should be calculated considering the following:
The certification fee structure for EACH of the NZ Ratings would be same (consider as X).
- Same project adopting combination of any 2 NZ Ratings together - 100% certification fee would be payable for the first NZ Rating AND 60% of the certification fee would be payable for the second NZ Rating i.e. Total certification fee to be paid would be X + 0.6X = 1.6X
- Same project adopting combination of any 3 NZ Ratings together - Total certification fee to be paid would be X + 0.6X + 0.5X = 2.1X
- Same project adopting all 4 NZ Ratings together - Total certification fee to be paid would be X + 0.6X + 0.5X + 0.4X = 2.5X
- IGBC has a total of 4 NZ Ratings for the buildings and built environment viz. NZ Energy, NZ Water, NZ Waste and NZ Carbon. Details of NZ Carbon Rating would be updated in IGBC website in due course.
- Only 1 plaque would be awarded on a complimentary basis for projects adopting a combination of NZ Ratings. If the client wishes to have a separate IGBC plaque for each of the NZ Ratings, INR 20,000 + GST would be payable for each additional plaque.
- This would be valid only when the project is registered under multiple Net Zero Ratings together (individual registration form for the NZ Energy / Water / Waste / Carbon Rating must be separately filled and submitted together). Registration Forms are downloadable from the respective NZ Rating webpages. For such cases, the registration fee would be payable only once. However, separate project registration numbers would be issued under the applicable NZ Ratings.
Note: Projects which have been registered / certified previously under any IGBC Green Building Rating would need to register under IGBC Net Zero Rating(s) separately. However, such projects can also avail, if applicable, all the benefits of the combined Net Zero certification fee, as mentioned above.
For more details, please contact:
Anand Sundararajan (Mr)
Email Id: email@example.com
Mobile number: +91 81422 39142
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +91 4044185221
Mobile number: +91 8866009738
Email Id: email@example.com
Tel : +91-40-4418 5100
Mobile number: +91 8700754401
Mr Yasin Khan
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile number: +91 8561010626
Email Id: email@example.com
Mobile number: 9177577100