IGBC Net Zero Waste - Definition
A Net Zero Waste for Buildings & Built Environment is one which eliminates the diversion of waste being sent to landfills, by a multi-pronged approach - nature-centric design, reducing debris during construction, responsibly handling waste during operation, reusing the waste as much as possible and recycling the remaining waste.
Key benefits of adopting 'Net Zero Waste Rating System for Buildings & Built Environment' for the project proponents are as below:
- Complying to National and International standards on quality and environmental performance related to products and materials.
- Increased use of green products & materials thus improved resource efficiency and health benefits.
- Reduction in material consumption and hence reduction in cost of construction
- Increase in reuse of waste so that reduction in procurement of additional materials.
- Reduction in cost associated with waste handling and disposal.
- Opportunity to convert waste to wealth in terms of energy or other value-added products.
- Brand image and value to their customers
The 'Net Zero Waste Rating System for Buildings & Built Environment' can be applied on all building typologies including residential, commercial, factories, interior fitouts, healthcare, education institutions, retail shops, transit buildings, townships, cities, etc.
This rating system can be adopted for both New & Existing buildings and built environment. Refer Design & Construction for New Projects and Operation credits for Existing projects.
Depending upon the project proponent aspiring to achieve 'Net Zero Waste to Landfill' rating for their building, the scope can be limited to design & construction (or) operation.
The suggested scope for the project proponents is as below:
IGBC Net Zero Waste Rating System for Buildings & Built Environment addresses green features under the following categories:
The guidelines detailed under each mandatory requirement & credit enables the design and construction of interiors in buildings of all sizes and types (as defined in scope). Different levels of green building certification are awarded based on the total credits earned. However, every project aiming for Net Zero Waste Rating System for Buildings & Built Environment should meet certain mandatory requirements, which are non-negotiable.
The project should be recognised depending upon the number of credits they achieve. The certification level and the required threshold are as below:
||Avoided % of Waste to Landfill
|Near Net Zero Waste
||75 - 84
||30 - 34
|Net Zero Waste
||85 - 94
||35 - 39
|Net Zero Waste Platinum
||95 and above
||40 - 50
IGBC will recognise all buildings that achieve one of the rating levels with a formal letter of certification and a mountable plaque.
|Membership category and Certification Fee
50,000 sq.m & below
5,001 sq.m to 50,000 sq.m
50,001 sq.m & above
|IGBC Founding Member
|IGBC Annual Member
* Fee is exclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST)
* Parking areas need not be considered as part of the built-up area
* Registration and Certification fees are non-refundable
* Membership discounts can be availed only if the Project Owner or Developer is a member of IGBC
For project registration, please contact :
Ritabrata Sen (Mr)
Phone number: +91(40) 4418 5231/ 225
Mobile number: +91 96520 59360
For Technical Queries, please contact:
Ar. Praveen Soma,
Email Id: email@example.com
Mobile number: +91 8978110084
Ar. Neha Saggam,
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile: +91 8805468989