IGBC Green High Speed Rail (HSR)
IGBC Green High Speed Rail (HSR) Rating Pilot Version is intended for high-speed rail stations, considering the fact that several aspects need to be addressed differently as compared to a metro station or railway station. The rating system has been developed with the support of IGBC Green HSR Technical Committee led by National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) along with key stakeholders from Ministry of Railways, Metro Rail Authorities, Industry leaders and experts from the transit secto.
IGBC Green HSR rating system is the World's first exclusive rating system to address environmental sustainability in high speed rail stations. This rating system will be a tool to enable new High Speed Rail (HSR) stations to apply green concepts during design & construction, so as to further reduce environmental impacts that are measurable. The overarching objective of IGBC Green HSR Rating is to ensure environmental sustainability, while enhancing commuter experience.
The rating has taken a very holistic approach to sustainability. It has addressed site environment management, integration of high speed rail with other modes of transport, energy & water efficiency, indoor environment & comfort and resource efficiency.
By applying the green concepts in the design, construction & operation, the following benefits are envisaged over conventional high speed rail project for the Environment, HSR Authorities and Commuters:
The environmental benefits of greening high speed rail project are as follows:
- Reduced dependency on air travel and private vehicles
- Minimises impacts on the use of land and the generation of noise
- Low carbon first & last mile connectivity
- Reduction in energy consumption
- Increased use of renewable energy sources
- Improved waste management, thereby avoiding waste being sent to land-fills
- Use of eco-friendly construction materials thereby reducing dependency on virgin materials
- Maximise efficiency of resources
The benefits to High Speed Rail Authority are as follows:
- Integration with other modes of public transport, enhancing accessibility & ridership
- Reduced heat islands thereby reducing the energy demand, enhancing the microclimate
- Operational savings through:
o Reduction in electrical energy consumption towards non-traction upto 10%
o Water consumption reduction for station applications upto 30%
- Effective Waste management during operation of station
- Improved station facility management
- Opportunity to increase environmental awareness among all HSR staff
The benefits to commuters are as follows:
- Improved accessibility to stations, thereby enabling easier first mile & last mile connectivity
- Effective ventilation & indoor environment quality
- Enhanced health, well-being & safety of commuters
- User-friendly design for differently abled & elderly people
- ncreased environmental awareness among commuters
- Enhanced commuting experience
All new High Speed Rail (HSR) projects can apply for IGBC Green HSR Rating, if they meet all the mandatory requirements and achieve the minimum required credit points. The current version of IGBC Green HSR Rating Abridged Version is only applicable for HSR rail network.
Scope of IGBC Green HSR Rating include Elevated stations, Underground stations, At-grade stations and Viaduct/ Tunnel.
For the purpose of rating, the project team has to define a clear site boundary which includes but not limited to:
- Station building, Ancillary facilities, Parking, hardscape/ softscape area around station etc.
- Property Development areas within station, other Property Development areas outside/ above stations can be considered as innovation under IGBC Green HSR Rating. The large property development (hotels, shopping complex, etc) can adopt IGBC's Green New Building Rating.
For more details, please contact:
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile number : +91 97178 99588
Associate Counsellor, IGBC
Architect & Infrastructure Planner
Email Id: email@example.com
Mobile Number : +91 8106199877
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: +91(40) 4418 5115